A Peer Reviewed Journal of Middle Level Research, Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents (ISSN-2333-0813) is the official journal of the Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education and the Pennsylvania Professors of Middle Level Education.
Subscriptions are complementary with the purchase of a membership in either organization.
Inquiries should be addressed to
3200 College Ave, Beaver Fall, PA 15010
Authorization to photocopy articles for internal (school building) or personal use of Association members is granted by the Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education (PAMLE) and the Pennsylvania Professors of Middle Level Education (PAPOMLE) provided that the copies recognize the organizations, provide a link to the organizations, provide a citation that reference the journal title on the first page of each photocopied article in this format:
Betwixt and Between is a publication of Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education (http://www.pamle.org) and the Pennsylvania Professors of Middle Level Education (http://www.pomle.org). Permission has been granted for members of the Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education and the Pennsylvania Professors of Middle Level Education to maintain a copy for personal use or for use within a school building. All other uses are prohibited.
Permission to link to a Betwixt and Between article will be granted as long as it is not used in a marketing or sales brochure, or to raise funds, and as long as full credit is given in this format described above.
Special requests, such as for non-members, general distribution, resale, advertising, and promotional purposes or for creating new works, should be directed to Deana Mack (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The ideas and opinions expressed in Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents do not necessarily reflect those of PAMLE or PA-POMLE or the Editors. Publication of an advertisement or other product mention in Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents should not be construed as an endorsement of the manufacturer’s claims. The Associations do not assume any responsibility for any injury and/or damage to persons or property arising from or related to any use of any material contained in Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents.
Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents is an open access peer-reviewed journal promoting research in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania regarding theories and best practices in the education and development of young adolescents. This journal provides for the sharing of formal and informal research related to the improvement of middle level education. Some issues may be thematic as determined by the editors in response to topics of timely interest. Submitted manuscripts should be responsive to this purpose and reflect research or analyses that inform practices in these areas. Submissions are accepted from any source but submissions from teachers/professors/researchers working in Pennsylvania will be given priority in the acceptance and publication process.
All submissions must be prepared using word processing software and saved in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or rich text format (RTF). Manuscripts must comply with the guidelines in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, current edition. Double space all text, including quotations and references, use 1 inch margins for top and bottom, and use 1.25 inch right and left margins. All text should be Times New Roman 11-point font. Complete references should be placed at the end of the manuscript, using the “hanging indent” function. Additional article publication formatting details are listed on the PA-POMLE and PAMLE web sites.
Manuscripts for the category of SCHOOLS TO WATCH must be submitted electronically via email attachment to Carol Watson (email@example.com).
Manuscripts for ALL OTHER CATEOGIRES must be submitted electronically via email attachment to Leigh Forbes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submissions must include three separate files saved in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or rich text format (RTF) as follows:
1. Cover Page – Include the information listed below in a separate file
o Manuscript Title
o Thematic Topic (if appropriate)
o Submission Date
o Author’s Name
o Author’s Institutional Affiliation and Address
o Author’s E-mail Address
o Author’s Complete Mailing Address
o Biographical Information (not to exceed 30 words per author)
2. Abstract – In a separate file describe the major elements of the manuscript in 100-150 words. Do not include your name or any other identifying information in the abstract.
3. Manuscript – In a separate file include the manuscript, references, and supporting charts, table, figures, and illustrations as defined above. Do not include the author(s) name(s).
Research Manuscripts should be no more than 15 pages of narrative (excluding references, tables, and appendices), using the latest APA style, and double-spaced on one side of 8-1/2 by 11-inch paper with justified margins.
Manuscripts for any of the non-research categories are limited to 500-750 words total.
Pages should be numbered consecutively including the bibliography, but the author's name should not appear on the manuscript itself.
Charts or illustrative material will be accepted if space permits. Such materials must be camera-ready. Photographs will usually not be used unless they are black and white and of high quality.
The editor reserves the right to edit articles accepted for publication.
· Manuscripts are peer reviewed in the order they are received.
· Manuscripts must be received by January 9th for consideration for the spring issue.
· It is the policy of B&B not to return manuscripts. Authors will be notified of the receipt of the manuscript. After an initial review by the editors, those manuscripts that meet the specifications will be sent to peer reviewers. Authors will be notified if the manuscript is judged to be not appropriate for review. Following peer review (blind review by 2 peers) and editor review, the author(s) will be notified as to the status of the manuscript. The journal editors reserve the right to make editorial changes in the manuscript.
· Authors are expected to take full responsibility for the accuracy of the content in their articles, including references, quotations, tables, and figures.
· Authors of manuscripts accepted for publication are expected to make a presentation about their article at the next PA-POMLE or PAMLE conference.
· There is no remuneration for articles accepted for publication. There is no fee for the review of the manuscript.